7 Things to Expect When Working with a Chronic Illness Therapist There are many benefits…
Chronic Illness Therapist In Maryland
As a chronic illness therapist, I’m profoundly aware of the toll it can take on your life, your marriage, and your family. I help people feel more in control of the chaos so they can get their life back.
If you need help with chronic illness and mental health, I’m here for you.
Facing Chronic Illness & Mental Health Challenges Together
Whether you’re newly diagnosed or have been living with chronic illness for years, it’s easy to feel alone with your struggles. Chronic illness affects every area of your life and finding the resources and tools to manage the changes you’re facing can be hard.
You’re not alone. I have worked as a chronic illness therapist for many years and would love to support you as you figure out how to bring more peace, less stress, and a greater perspective to the road ahead.
Meet Alicia Dorn, MS, LCPC
I’m Alicia Dorn, a licensed therapist in Maryland and also someone living with chronic illness. I get what’s going on for you personally and professionally. The daily struggles and chaos can feel overwhelming; it’s easy to lose sight of how to find joy in the daily moments. I help my clients make sense of what’s going on in their lives, whether big or small. Sometimes that means adjusting to the circumstance of their illness, other times it’s finding creative ways to manage the stress of daily living.
I’m also a powerful sounding board because I get where you are. Chronic illness has changed your life and that brings up powerful emotions. I’m here to help you as you adjust, accept, and move through whatever life has brought your way.
Chronic Illness & Mental Health Services
Anxiety and worry are natural byproducts of chronic illness. Life has not been what you thought it would be and that brings its own fears about the future. Whether you have a chronic illness or you love and care for someone with one, I am here to help.
Teens are facing the challenges of fitting into their social life, but that is harder with a chronic illness. This can lead to depression, anxiety, and feeling out of place. I can help your teen learn how to make sense of their chronic illness and cope with all that life brings their way.
Adulthood with a chronic illness (yours or someone you care for) is challenging because you’re still expected to be productive like everyone else in spite of your health and limitations. It can make you question who you are at a time in your life when you expect everything to be figured out. I help you work on accepting where you are with your illness and finding a better sense of balance.
Chronic illness affects everyone in the family and that brings up its own challenges. Whether you’re the person dealing with an illness, or you’re caring for your loved ones with a chronic illness, I can help you make sense of it all.
- Express feelings relating to their life with chronic illness
- Develop a plan using practical and emotional health skills to use at home, school and in the community
- Build lifelong relationships with others living with chronic illness.
- Express and work through feelings relating to your life with chronic illness
- Learn how to develop and maintain healthy relationships
- Practice skills to balance life responsibilities
- Learn to cope with your feelings and physical symptoms
- Express and work through feelings after receiving a chronic illness diagnosis within the last 12 months
- Develop an understanding of your identity with a new diagnosis
- Build lifelong relationships with others recently diagnosed with a chronic illness
- Learn how to cope and find hope while adjusting to life and health changes
- Develop personal and community supports to help approach life with new diagnosis
- Practice problem solving skills that support you in advocating for your needs in different situations
Group therapy is uniquely beneficial to people with chronic illness. I offer specific groups for teens and adults to help navigate their illness. Groups are affordable and everyone grows from the wisdom of their peers.
I am currently enrolling clients in the following groups:
Claim Your Group Seat Today! Group Request Form
Most Recent Blogs
5 Reasons You’re Feeling Medical Appointment Anxiety A chronic illness diagnosis can affect your mental…
4 Signs You are Having an Identity Crisis While Living with a Chronic Illness An…
5 Signs that You are Feeling Unsupported with Your Chronic Illness As a person with…
Coping With The Emotions That Come Up When Married To A Chronically Ill Spouse Marriage…